Apr 21, 2015, 1:24 PM EDT
Hofstra freshman forward Ashunae Durant was selected as the All-Met Division I Rookie of the Year and an All-Second Team selection by the Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association. Durant continued her stretch of prestigious honors that included the Colonial Athletic Association’s Rookie of the Year award as well as an All-CAA Second Team selection.
Durant averaged the second-most points for Hofstra at 11 per game while posting seven rebounds per contest, which was the sixth-most in the conference. Her 48.7 field-goal percentage was tops on the team and fourth in the CAA. She also shot 74.3 percent from the line.
The Newark, New Jersey product scored in double figures in 22 of 31 games and posted seven double-doubles. She was a six-time CAA Rookie of the Week and was named the USBWA National Freshman of the Week on Jan. 12. Durant was also a two-time ECAC Regional Rookie of the Week pick.
Members of the Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association voted for the award. Durant became the first Hofstra member to be honored by the organization since Shante Evans was named to the All-Met First Team in 2013.
Seton Hall’s Ka-Deidre Simmons was named the All Met Division I women’s college basketball Player of the Year. Anthony Bozzella, also of Seton Hall, was tabbed as the Maggie Dixon Coach of the Year.
The Haggerty Dinner is the longest running media-managed college basketball awards program in the United States.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- #CAAHoops Digital Media Days Set For Oct. 18-19
- CAA Announces WBB Schedule
- Towson Tabs Diane Richardson As WBB Head Coach
- Elon's Johnson Head to Africa with Athletes in Action
- UD Tabs Natasha Adair as WBB Head Coach
- Barefoot Named UNCW Women's Basketball Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- Charlotte Smith Named ECAC Coach of the Year
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- JMU Advances, Drexel Falls Short in WNIT Second Round