Mar 13, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
She’s one of 15 finalists for the Lieberman Award, given to the top point guard in the country. She’s also JMU’s new leader in single-season assists, having amassed 226 in 2014-15. The kid they call Muff took a few minutes to chat with us. Meet JMU redshirt junior Angela Mickens.
“When I was a baby and came out my mom called me Muff because she thought I had fat cheeks.”
Take us inside something fun these Dukes have done off the court.
“I loved our Secret Santa Christmas. I had Candice (Williams) and Carley (Brew) had me. Carley made me Greek letters — DST — because I’m in a sorority Delta Sigma Theta. And she gave me a picture frame.”
The tattoo on your left shoulder?
“It’s a diabetes ribbon for my mom.”
Anything behind your No. 32?
“My brothers, Eric and Terrell, each wore it in high school. And I kept it going.”
What do you enjoy about point guard?
“It’s always been my role. I’ve always wanted the ball in my hands.”
Your major is biology? What do you want to do?
“I want to go back to school for social work, and I want to be a child counselor. I love to work with children. The world is all about the children.”
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Towson Tabs Diane Richardson As WBB Head Coach
- Elon's Johnson Head to Africa with Athletes in Action
- UD Tabs Natasha Adair as WBB Head Coach
- Barefoot Named UNCW Women's Basketball Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- Charlotte Smith Named ECAC Coach of the Year
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- JMU Advances, Drexel Falls Short in WNIT Second Round
- JMU, Drexel Advance to WNIT Second Round
- Elon Falls to West Virginia in NCAA First Round