Jan 7, 2015, 2:23 PM EST
January 6 was a night of thousands for James Madison at the JMU Convocation Center in Harrisonburg, Va. As a team, the Dukes forged their 1,000th program win while senior Toia Giggetts posted her 1,000th career point.
James Madison is just the third NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball history to record 1,000 victories. The only two ahead of the Dukes? Tennessee and Lousiana Tech.
“There have been so many people who have had a hand in it, and for me to be a part of it, I’m extremely proud,” Head Coach Kenny Brooks said in his postgame press conference. “To be a part of that is very special. To be a part of the actual victory, to be able to celebrate with the streamers, it was fun…Very happy for everyone involved, everyone who has ever been involved, and everyone should be proud of this accomplishment.” Check out the Photo Gallery and the Highlights of the night courtesy of JMUSports.com.
Giggetts, meanwhile, became the second Duke and third CAA player this season to hit the impressive milestone. Teammate Precious Hall and UNCW’s Kelva Atkins hit the mark earlier this year. Giggetts entered the game against UNCW with 999 points. Her historic bucket came just minutes into the contest as she scored the first basket of the game for the Dukes. She finished the night with eight points and seven rebounds in 28 minutes of action.
James Madison, which is receiving votes in both national polls this week, is 11-2 overall and 2-0 in CAA play.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 20
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 13
- 2017-18 WBB Season Tips Off on Friday
- Hofstra's Durant Named to McClain Award Watch List
- WBB #CAAChamps Tickets On Sale Friday
- CAA WBB Media Day Teleconference Wrap-Up
- JMU WBB Picked Atop Preseason Poll
- Watch Women's Basketball Media Day Show
- #CAAHoops Digital Media Days Set For Oct. 18-19
- CAA Announces WBB Schedule