Nov 7, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
With the 2013-14 CAA Women’s Hoops season about to tip this weekend, we wanted to give you the Baseline Buzz before the official bounce on the team with the best turnaround in the league – Northeastern.
Northeastern is coming off a breakout record-setting season that featured the biggest turnaround of any team in the conference and the program’s first winning record in 13 years with a 17-13 overall mark.
Head coach Daynia La-Force, who earned CAA Coach of the Year honors for the first time, led the Huskies to a program-best 11 victories at Cabot Center and a seven-game home winning streak to begin the season, which tied for the longest all-time.
The Huskies return three starters, including All-CAA center Jewel Tunstull, who led the team with 8.9 rebounds per game to go along with 12.5 points per outing. She is the lone senior on the squad this season.
Junior guards A’lece Mark (9.4 ppg, 3.6 apg) and Amencie Mercier (5.6 ppg, 2.5 rpg) also return after starting 27 and 28 games, respectively, a year ago.
The Huskies also have experience with sophomore forwards Samantha DeFreese (2.4 ppg) and Onia Webb (1.8 ppg), as well as sophomore guard Kazzidy Stewart (1.8 ppg). Northeastern welcomes a pair of freshman, DaChe’ Williams and Francesca Sally, to the squad for the 2013-14 season.
Did You Know? The 2012-13 campaign (17-13/10-8 CAA) was the most successful for Northeastern women’s basketball since joining the CAA in 2005-06 season, as the Huskies posted their first winning record in 13 years. The Huskies ranked nationally in several key categories in 2012-13, including placing 12th in the country in 3-point field goals per game (8.0) and coming in at 11th in percentage from beyond the arc (36.3). Those marks were keyed by the Red and Black connecting on a program-record 239 3-pointers in 2012-13.
A’LECE MARK • Jr. • G
• Earned a starting roll for the Huskies recording 9.4 points (4th on the team), 3.7 rebounds and 1.9 steals per contest.
• Led the team dishing out 3.6 assists per contest, which also ranked third among the CAA leaders.
• Dished out a career-best 10 assists versus William & Mary on Jan. 10.
JEWEL TUNSTULL • Sr. • C
• Two-time starter for Northeastern and All-CAA third team honoree tallied 12.5 points, 8.9 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game.
• Led the CAA in field goal percentage (55.0), shooting 142-for-258, for the second straight season.
• Recorded a career-high 23 points to lead all scorers at James Madison on Jan. 22 to go along with 11 rebounds.
• Has averaged nearly five minutes per game for the Seahawks during her injury proned career.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
- Delaware's Natasha Adair Named USA Basketball Assistant Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- JMU Falls at WVU In WNIT Third Round
- Smith Named WBCA Regional Coach of the Year
- JMU Meets WVU in WNIT on Friday
- Drexel Falls to Fordham in WNIT Second Round
- JMU Advances to WNIT Third Round
- Drexel Notches WNIT Win
- NC State Knocks Elon from NCAA Tournament
- JMU Opens WNIT with Win