Nov 6, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
With the 2013-14 CAA Women’s Hoops season about to tip this weekend, we wanted to give you the Baseline Buzz before the first tip on the preseason No. 1 team in the league – James Madison.
The Dukes of James Madison have high expectations for the upcoming 2013-14 campaign after another successful 25-11 (15-3) season one year ago. JMU returns three starters – Kirby Burkholder, Precious Hall and Toia Giggetts – who expect to contend for a conference title.
Head Coach Kenny Brooks guided the Dukes through the WNIT last season and as JMU won three games before falling to the Florida Gators at home in the quarterfinals.
Burkholder is a standout senior guard who earned first-team All-CAA recognition in 2012-13 after averaging 15 points and 9.1 rebounds per game. She also ranks second all-time at JMU in made 3-pointers with 181 heading into her senior season.
JMU welcomes back Nikki Newman, the 2012 CAA Defender of the Year, who suffered a season-ending injury just nine games in last season. The redshirt senior currently ranks second all-time at JMU in blocked shots with 120. Hall (9.6 ppg/3.1 rpg), who was the 2013 CAA Rookie of the Year, and Giggetts (7.5 ppg/6.4 rpg) will add experience to a group that was selected to finish first in the CAA preseason poll.
Did You Know? James Madison and Drexel, voted No.1 and No. 2, respectively, in the preseason CAA coaches poll, will both play in the St. John’s Classic on Dec. 14-15 in Queens, N.Y. The two teams will not play each other during the preset tournament, but will face host Red Storm and visiting Prairie View A&M during the weekend.
KIRBY BURKHOLDER • Sr. • G
• Two-year starter who earned All-CAA first-team honors in 2012-13 after scoring 15.0 points and 9.1 rebounds per contest for the Dukes.
• Ranked among the CAA leaders nine different categories, including 2nd in free throw percentage (.880), 3rd in rebounding (9.1) and defensive rebounding (6.1) and 4th in treys made (2.5).
• Second in JMU program history in three-pointers made (181) going into 2013-14.
NIKKI NEWMAN • RSr. • G/F
• Suffered a season-ending injury after nine games in 2012-13.
• Named 2012 CAA Defensive Player of the Year after ranking among the best in the league in rebounding, blocked shots and other defensive categories, as well as earning a spot on the All-CAA Defensive squad.
• Ranked second in JMU recordbooks with 120 blocked shots.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- #CAAHoops Digital Media Days Set For Oct. 18-19
- CAA Announces WBB Schedule
- Towson Tabs Diane Richardson As WBB Head Coach
- Elon's Johnson Head to Africa with Athletes in Action
- UD Tabs Natasha Adair as WBB Head Coach
- Barefoot Named UNCW Women's Basketball Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- Charlotte Smith Named ECAC Coach of the Year
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- JMU Advances, Drexel Falls Short in WNIT Second Round