Nov 5, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
With the 2013-14 CAA Women’s Hoops season about to tip this weekend, we wanted to give you the Baseline Buzz before the first official jump ball on the CAA’s defending champions – Delaware.
Tina Martin and the Blue Hens look to continue the momentum from last season’s historical 32-4 run in which Delaware won its second consecutive CAA title and advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16. UD welcomes back six letterwinners, after graduating seven and will also introduce eight newcomers for the 2013-14 season.
Delaware’s top returnee is senior guard Akeema Richards, who started 32 games for the Blue Hens and averaged 5.5 points to go along with 2.6 rebounds per game. Three-year letterwinner senior center Kelsey Buchanan (2.1 ppg/2.1 rpg) also returns for UD. Redshirt sophomore Joy Caracciolo, who sat out last year due to NCAA transfer rules, should make an immediate impact for the Blue Hens in the forward position. She poured in 4.8 points and grabbed 3.0 rebounds per game during her rookie campaign at Boston College in 2011-12.
Sophomore Courtni Green (2.4 ppg) and junior Stephanie Leon (1.7 rpg) saw quality playing time to gain great experience for the upcoming season. Martin welcomes five true freshmen to the squad this season along with Jodi Salyer, who earned a redshirt last season.
Did You Know? The Blue Hens hoops squads share their court with the NBA’s newest D-League franchise of the Philadelphia 76ers – the Delaware 87ers (Delaware Sevens). The ‘Sevens’ season runs from November through April. The Blue Hens’ volleyball team also plays at The Bob Carpenter Center.
KELSEY BUCHANAN • Sr. • C
• Strong contributor for the Blue Hens as a three-year letterwinner, who competed in all but one game in the 2012-13 season.
• Tied a career-high 10 points on 5-of-9 shooting from the field in a career-high 31 minutes in UD’s NCAA First Round Tournament win over West Virginia (3/24).
• Grabbed 2.1 rebounds per game for the Blue Hens a year ago.
AKEEMA RICHARDS • Sr. • G
• Only returning starter for the Blue Hens after recording 5.5 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 19.2 minutes per game in 2012-13.
• Heads into her senior campaign with career marks of over 400 FG, 100 assists, 200 rebounds, 300 points and 1000 minutes played.
• Scored career-high 15 points on seven field goals made in Blue Hens’ victory at Old Dominion (1/13) last season.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Drexel Falls to Fordham in WNIT Second Round
- JMU Advances to WNIT Third Round
- Drexel Notches WNIT Win
- NC State Knocks Elon from NCAA Tournament
- JMU Opens WNIT with Win
- #CAAHoops: WBB National Postseason Preview
- Five WBB Teams Headed to Postseason
- A look back at Elon's Run In #CAAChamps
- Elon Repeats as #CAAChamps
- #CAAHoops Weekly: Elon, Drexel Ready to Tangle in Finals