Oct 30, 2013, 3:20 PM EST
The Northeastern women’s basketball team volunteered its time on Sunday, Sept. 22, at the 10th Annual Brian Honan 5K Run/Walk. The Huskies spent the day at the 2.2-mile mark, passing out water and lending their encouragement to the runners.
“[The team] has volunteered the past few years but this year was really special to us,” said head coach Daynia La-Force.”
Northeastern wore t-shirts with the slogan “his fight is our fight,” to show its support for associate head coach Tom Blake and his son Brian, who was recently diagnosed with cancer.
“Tom has sacrifice so much of his time with his family to help our young women become better students and better basketball players,” said La-Force. “It is time we lend our support to him and his family in return for all he has done.”
Money raised through the Brian J. Honan 5K benefits the scholarship funds of the Allston Board of Trade and the Brighton Board of Trade. The Race also benefits the Honan family’s charitable fund.
The women’s basketball team will be selling t-shirts at all of its home games during the 2013-14 season. All proceeds will go directly to the Brian J. Honan Charitable Fund to support and foster local and national programs that support education, recreation, housing and healthcare.
“I couldn’t be any luckier to have the support from Coach LaForce and the team in this difficult time for our family,” said Blake. “We know that Brian has a long road ahead of him, but with the support of the Northeastern family, we know he’ll get better.”
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Dec. 11
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Dec. 4
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 27
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 20
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 13
- 2017-18 WBB Season Tips Off on Friday
- Hofstra's Durant Named to McClain Award Watch List
- WBB #CAAChamps Tickets On Sale Friday
- CAA WBB Media Day Teleconference Wrap-Up
- JMU WBB Picked Atop Preseason Poll