Mar 16, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT
Wherever you are, open the door. We’re sure you can hear Delaware fans chanting “Let’s go, Hens!” at the Show Place Arena. That’s how loud it is in Upper Marlboro, Md.
Of course, the Delle Donne family is here — mom, dad, brother Gene and a special appearance by Elena’s 81-year-old grandmother, Elizabeth Sixbey.
Mom is Joan Delle Donne (pictured here with her mother, Elizabeth), and you’ll notice she almost always has a silver locket around her neck. The outside reads “Double digits,” and inside are the ashes of her father, Daniel. Elena’s grandfather died five years ago, but he was an avid supporter of his granddaughter’s high school career.
“The only two games Delaware has lost that I had this locket on are to Maryland,” said Joan Delle Donne.
No surprise. It seems Daniel Sixbey was a proud Terrapin.
“He used to say to my son — Gene played football for Middle Tennessee — ‘Gene, I’ll root for you every game, but I’ve got to root for Maryland.’ ”
Terps not in the house today. We know who Granddad is rooting for.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- #CAAHoops Digital Media Days Set For Oct. 18-19
- CAA Announces WBB Schedule
- Towson Tabs Diane Richardson As WBB Head Coach
- Elon's Johnson Head to Africa with Athletes in Action
- UD Tabs Natasha Adair as WBB Head Coach
- Barefoot Named UNCW Women's Basketball Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- Charlotte Smith Named ECAC Coach of the Year
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- JMU Advances, Drexel Falls Short in WNIT Second Round