Feb 27, 2013, 7:18 PM EST
Delaware’s Elena Delle Donne and Hofstra’s Shante Evans were selected by the Atlanta Tipoff Club’s Board of Selectors, which based its criteria on player performances during this year’s college basketball season, as two of the Top 30 candidates at the end of February. In late March, the Naismith Trophy voting academy will narrow down the pack to four finalists. The Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year presented by AT&T will be awarded to one female athlete on April 8, 2013, in New Orleans, La.
Baylor’s Brittney Griner once again finds herself among the top 30 candidates under consideration for the Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year award, and looks to become only the sixth woman ever to win back-to-back Women’s Naismith Trophies. Previous winners to accomplish the feat include Seimone Augustus (2005, 2006), Diana Taurasi (2003, 2004), Chamique Holdsclaw (1998, 1999), Dawn Staley (1991, 1992) and Cheryl Miller (1984, 1985, 1986). The Atlanta Tipoff Club announced the entire list of 30 candidates today.
For the ninth consecutive year, fans will have the opportunity to text their votes for the player of their choice and help determine the 2013 Naismith Trophy winner. Voting will open to fans on Monday, March 25. Naismith Trophy presenting sponsor AT&T is making the voting open to other wireless carriers, enabling even more fans to participate.
For more information, visit www.naismithawards.com.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 20
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 13
- 2017-18 WBB Season Tips Off on Friday
- Hofstra's Durant Named to McClain Award Watch List
- WBB #CAAChamps Tickets On Sale Friday
- CAA WBB Media Day Teleconference Wrap-Up
- JMU WBB Picked Atop Preseason Poll
- Watch Women's Basketball Media Day Show
- #CAAHoops Digital Media Days Set For Oct. 18-19
- CAA Announces WBB Schedule