Feb 27, 2013, 7:18 PM EDT
Delaware’s Elena Delle Donne and Hofstra’s Shante Evans were selected by the Atlanta Tipoff Club’s Board of Selectors, which based its criteria on player performances during this year’s college basketball season, as two of the Top 30 candidates at the end of February. In late March, the Naismith Trophy voting academy will narrow down the pack to four finalists. The Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year presented by AT&T will be awarded to one female athlete on April 8, 2013, in New Orleans, La.
Baylor’s Brittney Griner once again finds herself among the top 30 candidates under consideration for the Naismith Women’s College Player of the Year award, and looks to become only the sixth woman ever to win back-to-back Women’s Naismith Trophies. Previous winners to accomplish the feat include Seimone Augustus (2005, 2006), Diana Taurasi (2003, 2004), Chamique Holdsclaw (1998, 1999), Dawn Staley (1991, 1992) and Cheryl Miller (1984, 1985, 1986). The Atlanta Tipoff Club announced the entire list of 30 candidates today.
For the ninth consecutive year, fans will have the opportunity to text their votes for the player of their choice and help determine the 2013 Naismith Trophy winner. Voting will open to fans on Monday, March 25. Naismith Trophy presenting sponsor AT&T is making the voting open to other wireless carriers, enabling even more fans to participate.
For more information, visit www.naismithawards.com.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- CAA Announces WBB Schedule
- Towson Tabs Diane Richardson As WBB Head Coach
- Elon's Johnson Head to Africa with Athletes in Action
- UD Tabs Natasha Adair as WBB Head Coach
- Barefoot Named UNCW Women's Basketball Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- Charlotte Smith Named ECAC Coach of the Year
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- JMU Advances, Drexel Falls Short in WNIT Second Round
- JMU, Drexel Advance to WNIT Second Round