Oct 16, 2012, 2:18 PM EST
Drexel advanced to the second round of the WNIT last year, finishing 19-14. Drexel returns all-CAA first-team preseason pick Hollie Mershon along with Taylor Wootton, both senior starters. We chat with coach Denise Dillon, in her 10th season coaching the Dragons.
A word to describe your team:
With three starters lost to graduation, including last year’s leading scorer Kamile Nacickaite, will there be a new look for the Dragons?
I think we’re looking a little different personnel-wise, but we run a system; our style will be the same. I can’t really say we’re young, but we’ve got four freshman. We’re going to be a mix of seniors and freshmen.
On Mershon being picked as a CAA-Preseason first-teamer:
Hollie had a strong junior year, which was great for us and much needed with going into her senior year with graduating some key players. She’s continued to develop her game. The biggest thing for Hollie this year is using her experience to help her game. Faster, quicker isn’t the answer; use your head and set people up.
On Abby Redick, transfer from Virginia Tech, who sat out due to a meniscus tear.
She transferred midseason, so she started playing the end of December and played two games before tearing her meniscus. So she redshirted last year. Basketball-wise, this is her junior year. Abby can be a key role player for us. She understands the game, and she has great size.
Something fun you did during the offseason:
Spending time with my nieces and nephews outdoors. We loved Newport, R.I.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 20
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 13
- 2017-18 WBB Season Tips Off on Friday
- Hofstra's Durant Named to McClain Award Watch List
- WBB #CAAChamps Tickets On Sale Friday
- CAA WBB Media Day Teleconference Wrap-Up
- JMU WBB Picked Atop Preseason Poll
- Watch Women's Basketball Media Day Show
- #CAAHoops Digital Media Days Set For Oct. 18-19
- CAA Announces WBB Schedule