May 25, 2012, 5:37 PM EST
Joe Mathews, the long-time head women’s basketball coach at Towson University, has signed a three-year contract extension that will take him through the 2014-15 season with the Tigers, it has been announced by Director of Athletics Mike Waddell.
“I’m pleased that we have been able to reach an agreement to extend Joe Mathews’ tenure at Towson,” said Waddell.
“Joe is well liked and respected in the women’s basketball coaching community. The program has improved during his time as head coach.”
“Even more important is that Joe is a great person. He is viewed as a bit of a father figure by the team members. His interest lies in the student-athletes and their personal development both as students as well as athletes.”
“I am sure that with Joe continuing at the helm combined with additional program support that we will see additional improvement over the next three years.”
In 2011-12, Mathews completed his 11th season on the Tiger bench. He led the 2011-12 Tigers to a 16-14 record, the team’s fifth season with at least 15 wins in the last six years.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 20
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 13
- 2017-18 WBB Season Tips Off on Friday
- Hofstra's Durant Named to McClain Award Watch List
- WBB #CAAChamps Tickets On Sale Friday
- CAA WBB Media Day Teleconference Wrap-Up
- JMU WBB Picked Atop Preseason Poll
- Watch Women's Basketball Media Day Show
- #CAAHoops Digital Media Days Set For Oct. 18-19
- CAA Announces WBB Schedule