May 25, 2012, 5:37 PM EDT
Joe Mathews, the long-time head women’s basketball coach at Towson University, has signed a three-year contract extension that will take him through the 2014-15 season with the Tigers, it has been announced by Director of Athletics Mike Waddell.
“I’m pleased that we have been able to reach an agreement to extend Joe Mathews’ tenure at Towson,” said Waddell.
“Joe is well liked and respected in the women’s basketball coaching community. The program has improved during his time as head coach.”
“Even more important is that Joe is a great person. He is viewed as a bit of a father figure by the team members. His interest lies in the student-athletes and their personal development both as students as well as athletes.”
“I am sure that with Joe continuing at the helm combined with additional program support that we will see additional improvement over the next three years.”
In 2011-12, Mathews completed his 11th season on the Tiger bench. He led the 2011-12 Tigers to a 16-14 record, the team’s fifth season with at least 15 wins in the last six years.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- UD Tabs Natasha Adair as WBB Head Coach
- Barefoot Named UNCW Women's Basketball Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- Charlotte Smith Named ECAC Coach of the Year
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- JMU Advances, Drexel Falls Short in WNIT Second Round
- JMU, Drexel Advance to WNIT Second Round
- Elon Falls to West Virginia in NCAA First Round
- Elon Opens Up NCAA Tournament Play vs West Virginia
- Women's #CAAHoops Weekly: Postseason