Mar 10, 2012, 12:45 AM EDT
JMU’s Kirby Burkholder has to be the most improved player in the CAA. As a freshman she scored 31 points, a number she surpassed 13 seconds into the Dukes third game of the season. The third-team All-CAA guard averaged 10.5 ppg and 6.9 rpg this season.
Talk about the transformation.
“It was tough last year. I was a freshman and I had an injury (shin splints). … I struggled to make the adjustment to the college game. I just worked really hard in the offseason.”
Legend has it coach Kenny Brooks made you into a 3-point shooter. True?
“I never was a shooter. In high school I played the post. One day last season he saw me shooting in the gym. He told to keep shooting. I had never had anyone work with me on my shot or anything.”
You knew Kenny before you came to JMU, correct?
“I’m really good friends with his niece, so I knew him when I was growing up.”
You also like?
“Softball. I played in high school.”
And you’re a reader?
“I like Jodi Picault and Nicholas Sparks.”
How does this JMU team stay so loose?
“This team is hilarious. We always play this game called Mafia.”
Who’s the most competitive?
“Tarik. She competitive no matter what we do.”
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Drexel Falls to Fordham in WNIT Second Round
- JMU Advances to WNIT Third Round
- Drexel Notches WNIT Win
- NC State Knocks Elon from NCAA Tournament
- JMU Opens WNIT with Win
- #CAAHoops: WBB National Postseason Preview
- Five WBB Teams Headed to Postseason
- A look back at Elon's Run In #CAAChamps
- Elon Repeats as #CAAChamps
- #CAAHoops Weekly: Elon, Drexel Ready to Tangle in Finals