Mar 8, 2012, 8:58 PM EDT
If you’ve been to Seahawk games, surely you’ve seen Ma Hawk.
Seahawk golf head covers on both hands, Ma Hawk is in the front row, as usual, cheering on UNCW. Ma Hawk, also known as Mary Helm, started coming to UNCW events with a baseball game in 1961.
“UNCW was only three buildings,” she said.
A cancer survivor, Ma Hawk, 70, forgoes baseball for basketball these days and loves coach Cynthia Cooper-Dyke.
“She has done and had done to her everything she coaches,” Ma Hawk said.
She stands up and spins for every UNCW made free throw.
“I am a Seahawk; I have teal blood in me,” she said. “But after that I’m CAA. I love the conference.”
And as far as dizzy?
Says Ma Hawk, “I was born dizzy.”
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Towson Tabs Diane Richardson As WBB Head Coach
- Elon's Johnson Head to Africa with Athletes in Action
- UD Tabs Natasha Adair as WBB Head Coach
- Barefoot Named UNCW Women's Basketball Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- Charlotte Smith Named ECAC Coach of the Year
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- JMU Advances, Drexel Falls Short in WNIT Second Round
- JMU, Drexel Advance to WNIT Second Round
- Elon Falls to West Virginia in NCAA First Round