Mar 8, 2012, 8:58 PM EDT
If you’ve been to Seahawk games, surely you’ve seen Ma Hawk.
Seahawk golf head covers on both hands, Ma Hawk is in the front row, as usual, cheering on UNCW. Ma Hawk, also known as Mary Helm, started coming to UNCW events with a baseball game in 1961.
“UNCW was only three buildings,” she said.
A cancer survivor, Ma Hawk, 70, forgoes baseball for basketball these days and loves coach Cynthia Cooper-Dyke.
“She has done and had done to her everything she coaches,” Ma Hawk said.
She stands up and spins for every UNCW made free throw.
“I am a Seahawk; I have teal blood in me,” she said. “But after that I’m CAA. I love the conference.”
And as far as dizzy?
Says Ma Hawk, “I was born dizzy.”
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
- Delaware Selected for Preseason WNIT
- Delaware's Natasha Adair Named USA Basketball Assistant Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- JMU Falls at WVU In WNIT Third Round
- Smith Named WBCA Regional Coach of the Year
- JMU Meets WVU in WNIT on Friday
- Drexel Falls to Fordham in WNIT Second Round
- JMU Advances to WNIT Third Round
- Drexel Notches WNIT Win
- NC State Knocks Elon from NCAA Tournament