Mar 8, 2012, 8:58 PM EST
If you’ve been to Seahawk games, surely you’ve seen Ma Hawk.
Seahawk golf head covers on both hands, Ma Hawk is in the front row, as usual, cheering on UNCW. Ma Hawk, also known as Mary Helm, started coming to UNCW events with a baseball game in 1961.
“UNCW was only three buildings,” she said.
A cancer survivor, Ma Hawk, 70, forgoes baseball for basketball these days and loves coach Cynthia Cooper-Dyke.
“She has done and had done to her everything she coaches,” Ma Hawk said.
She stands up and spins for every UNCW made free throw.
“I am a Seahawk; I have teal blood in me,” she said. “But after that I’m CAA. I love the conference.”
And as far as dizzy?
Says Ma Hawk, “I was born dizzy.”
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Jan. 22
- Big WBB Wins on Sunday
- WBB Streaks Continue on Friday
- #CAAHoops In Focus: JMU's Sophomore Trio
- #CAAHoops Weekly: WBB Race Heats Up
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Jan. 15
- WBB Home Cookin' on Sunday
- WBB Thrilled on Friday Night
- #CAAHoops Weekly: Key WBB Match-Ups
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Jan. 8