Mar 8, 2012, 8:58 PM EST
If you’ve been to Seahawk games, surely you’ve seen Ma Hawk.
Seahawk golf head covers on both hands, Ma Hawk is in the front row, as usual, cheering on UNCW. Ma Hawk, also known as Mary Helm, started coming to UNCW events with a baseball game in 1961.
“UNCW was only three buildings,” she said.
A cancer survivor, Ma Hawk, 70, forgoes baseball for basketball these days and loves coach Cynthia Cooper-Dyke.
“She has done and had done to her everything she coaches,” Ma Hawk said.
She stands up and spins for every UNCW made free throw.
“I am a Seahawk; I have teal blood in me,” she said. “But after that I’m CAA. I love the conference.”
And as far as dizzy?
Says Ma Hawk, “I was born dizzy.”
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 20
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 13
- 2017-18 WBB Season Tips Off on Friday
- Hofstra's Durant Named to McClain Award Watch List
- WBB #CAAChamps Tickets On Sale Friday
- CAA WBB Media Day Teleconference Wrap-Up
- JMU WBB Picked Atop Preseason Poll
- Watch Women's Basketball Media Day Show
- #CAAHoops Digital Media Days Set For Oct. 18-19
- CAA Announces WBB Schedule