Feb 6, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
• Nationally-ranked Delaware is the last team left undefeated in conference play at 11-0, while James Madison and Hofstra are tied for second place with 8-3 CAA records. Drexel and UNCW are tied for fourth with a 7-4 conference mark.
• CAA squads went 77-54 in non-conference play. The CAA finished the non-conference slate with the fourth best NC strength of schedule.
• Delaware’s Elena Delle Donne and Hofstra’s Shante Evans were selected to the John R. Wooden Award Midseason Top 20.
• UD’s Elena Delle Donne (1st, 28.1 ppg), VCU’s Courtney Hurt (8th, 22.3 ppg) and George Mason’s Taleia Moton (12th, 21.5 ppg) rank in the Top 12 leading scorers in the nation as of games through Feb. 5. Hurt jumped back to being the nation’s leading rebounder with 12.5 rpg. Full listing on page 12 of this report.
• Delaware, who finished the non-conference portion of its schedule at No. 1, is ranked at No. 6 in the latest RPI rankings report compiled by Collegiate Basketball News. The CAA is ranked seventh among the conferences with seven teams in the Top 100.
• Delaware stayed at #12 in the AP Top 25 on Feb. 7 and was ranked #13 ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll on Jan. 31. Three CAA teams appeared in the Mid-Major Top 25 last week.
• CAA Women’s Basketball weekly conference calls will continue on Feb. 7 (full schedule on page 5).
• Delaware was selected as the preseason CAA favorite to win the 2011-12 title. VCU followed along with James Madison and Hofstra to round out the top four.
• Virginia 529 Women’s Basketball Championship will return to The Show Place Arena in 2012 in Upper Marlboro, Md. (contact Niki DeSantis about credentials if you have not received a request form).
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
Elena Delle Donne • Delaware
Wilmington, Del./Ursuline, Jr., Guard/Forward
Delle Donne received CAA Player of the Week honors leading the #12/13 Delaware Blue Hens to a pair of conference victories UNCW and VCU. The junior guard/forward averaged 25.5 points and 13.0 rebounds per game in back-to-back double-doubles (eight on the year). Delle Donne also added team highs of five blocks and three steals to go along with six assists on the week. She surpassed the 20-point mark for the 20th time this season.
Tia Lewis • Old Dominion
Poulan, Ga./Worth County, Sr., Forward
Lewis earned CAA Player of the Week honors after leading the Lady Monarchs to a 1-1 week and averaging a team-best 16.0 points and 10.5 rebounds per game. She posted double-doubles in both games, including 17 points and 10 rebounds in the last second 57-55 loss to James Madison. The senior from Poulan, Ga., recorded her second double-double with 15 points and 11 boards in the 81-79 road win over Hofstra. Lewis finished the week with seven assists, two blocks and two steals.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Miranda Smith • Georgia State
Roanoke, Va./Patrick Henry, Fr., Guard
Smith collected CAA Rookie of the Week after helping the Panthers to their first CAA victory of the season with a win over Northeastern. The freshman guard earned a spot in the starting line-up for both outings, making it seven games this season she has started for Georgia State. Smith shot an impressive 62.5 percent (5-8) from the floor against Northeastern and finished the week shooting 47.4 percent (9-19). She also shot 62.5 percent (5-8) from the line against the Huskies. Smith added seven rebounds (nearly 1.5 rpg above her season average), four assists and two steals on the week for the Panthers.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
- Delaware's Natasha Adair Named USA Basketball Assistant Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- JMU Falls at WVU In WNIT Third Round
- Smith Named WBCA Regional Coach of the Year
- JMU Meets WVU in WNIT on Friday
- Drexel Falls to Fordham in WNIT Second Round
- JMU Advances to WNIT Third Round
- Drexel Notches WNIT Win
- NC State Knocks Elon from NCAA Tournament
- JMU Opens WNIT with Win