Jan 3, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
• CAA squads are currently 74-52 in non-conference play. The league opened conference play on Dec. 4 and Delaware, George Mason, Hofstra, Towson, Drexel and VCU started CAA action 1-0 and will continue on Jan. 5.
• Delaware had its 10-game winning streak snapped (first loss of the season) with a hard-fought loss to #5/5 Maryland on Thursday. VCU fell to #12/10 Miami to snap a five-game win streak.
• The CAA currently has the seventh best non-conference strength of schedule.
• UD’s Elena Delle Donne (1st, 28.8 ppg), VCU’s Courtney Hurt (3rd, 24.6 ppg) and George Mason’s Taleia Moton (9th, 22.1 ppg) rank in the Top 9 leading scorers in the nation. The Blue Hens also lead the nation in free-throw shooting (82.9%). Full listing on page 11 of this report.
• Delaware returned to No. 1 in the latest RPI rankings report compiled by Collegiate Basketball News, after sitting at No. 2 for just one week. The CAA is ranked seventh among the conferences with six teams in the Top 80 and four in the Top 37.
• Delaware steadied at #19 in the AP Top 25 and #20 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll.
• CAA Women’s Basketball weekly conference calls will begin on Jan. 3 (full schedule on page 5).
• Delaware was selected as the preseason CAA favorite to win the 2011-12 title. VCU followed along with James Madison and Hofstra.
• Virginia 529 Women’s Basketball Championship will return to The Show Place Arena in 2012 in Upper Marlboro, Md.
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
Elena Delle Donne • Delaware
Wilmington, Del./Ursuline, Jr., Guard/Forward
Delle Donne received CAA Player of the Week honors after leading the Blue Hens to a 1-1 record last week while putting up 27.0 points and 8.0 rebounds per outing. The junior scored 22 points in UD’s win over East Carolina and a game-high 32 points in the close loss to host #5/5 Maryland. Delle Donne shot 52.9 percent (18-for-34) from the floor on the week and 16-for-17 (.941) from the line missing just one against ECU. She added three assists, six blocks and three steals on the week. Delle Donne was also honored on the All-Tournament team.
Courtney Hurt • VCU
Conyers, Ga./Salem, Sr., Forward
Hurt earned CAA Player of the Week honors after a strong week for the Rams at the University of Miami Holiday Classic. The senior averaged 28.5 points and 18.5 rebounds per game in a pair of outings. Hurt led all scorers with 32 points and a career-best 21 rebounds, three shy of the school’s single-game record, against Morgan State (posting her second career 20-20 game). She added game highs of 25 points and 16 rebounds against host #12/10 Miami. Hurt added one assist, one block and one steal on the week and was named to the All-Tournament team.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Ashley Betz-White • Old Dominion
Mechanicsburg, Pa./Trinity, Fr., Guard
Betz-White collected CAA Rookie of the Week accolades after scoring nine points to go along with four rebounds in the Lady Monarchs’ outing against #7/8 Tennessee on the road last week. The freshman made three treys against the Lady Vols and also added one assist in the outing.
Full Report Here at CAASports.com
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- UD Tabs Natasha Adair as WBB Head Coach
- Barefoot Named UNCW Women's Basketball Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- Charlotte Smith Named ECAC Coach of the Year
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- JMU Advances, Drexel Falls Short in WNIT Second Round
- JMU, Drexel Advance to WNIT Second Round
- Elon Falls to West Virginia in NCAA First Round
- Elon Opens Up NCAA Tournament Play vs West Virginia
- Women's #CAAHoops Weekly: Postseason