Dec 26, 2011, 3:52 PM EDT
• CAA squads are currently 67-43 in non-conference play. The league opened conference play on Dec. 4 and Delaware, George Mason, Hofstra, Towson, Drexel and VCU started CAA action 1-0.
• The CAA has the sixth best non-conference strength of schedule.
• Delaware is ranked No. 2 in the latest RPI report compiled by Collegiate Basketball News, falling from No. 1 for the past four weeks, through games of Dec. 25. The CAA is ranked seventh among the conferences with seven teams in the Top 87 and four in the Top 26.
• NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball National Stat Rankings through games of Dec. 18 had a number of CAA highlights. The CAA boasts the top scorer in the nation in UD’s Elena Delle Donne (29.3 ppg), along with fifth-ranked VCU’s Courtney Hurt (24.0 ppg) and ninth-ranked Mason’s Taleia Moton (22.0 ppg). Full listing on page 11 of this report. (updated next after the new year.)
• Delaware moved up to #19 in the AP Top 25 and to #20 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll as they held onto their 9-0 record, just one of nine teams undeafeted in the nation.
• CAA Women’s Basketball weekly conference calls will begin on Jan. 3 (full schedule on page 5).
• Delaware was selected as the preseason CAA favorite to win the 2011-12 title. VCU followed along with James Madison and Hofstra.
• Virginia 529 Women’s Basketball Championship will return to The Show Place Arena in 2012 in Upper Marlboro, Md.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Shante Evans • Hofstra
West Chester, Pa./Henderson, Jr., Forward
Evans collected CAA Player of the Week honors after leading the Pride to the title of the New York Life Holiday Invitational last week. The junior averaged a double-double with 20.5 points and 15.0 rebounds per game in victories over Central Connecticut State and Marist. She moved into 13th place on HU’s all-time scoring list with 1,208 career points. Her pair of double-doubles game her five this season and 36 for her career and she tied a career-high with 13 offensive rebounds against Marist. Evans finished the week with three assists, a block and a steal.
ROOKIES OF THE WEEK:
Alana Beroth • Georgia State
Pfafftown, N.C./Reagan, Fr., Center
Beroth received CAA Rookie of the Week honors after a strong week for the Panthers. The freshman averaged 7.0 points per game on 6-of-9 (.667) shooting from the field to go along with 2-of-3 (.667) from the line. Beroth grabbed eight rebounds on the week and added a block and a steal for Georgia State as the Panthers went 1-1 at the SunSplash Shootout.
Genevieve Gaboriault • Northeastern
L’assomption, Quebec/Dawson College, Fr., Forward
Gaboriault earned CAA Rookie of the Week accolades after helping the Huskies to a 1-1 week on the road. The freshman averaged 11.5 points and 5.5 rebounds per outing for Northeastern and led the team with a career-best 18-point outing in the Huskies win over Kent State. She shot 47.0 percent (8-of-17) from the floor on the week, but finished shooting 60.0 percent (6-of-10) all from three-point range against KSU. Gaboriault added one block and one steal on the week for the Huskies.
Full Report at CAASports.com
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
#CAASports on Instagram
- Delaware's Natasha Adair Named USA Basketball Assistant Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- JMU Falls at WVU In WNIT Third Round
- Smith Named WBCA Regional Coach of the Year
- JMU Meets WVU in WNIT on Friday
- Drexel Falls to Fordham in WNIT Second Round
- JMU Advances to WNIT Third Round
- Drexel Notches WNIT Win
- NC State Knocks Elon from NCAA Tournament
- JMU Opens WNIT with Win