Dec 5, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
Did you see all the news? Check out the entire report on CAASports.com
• CAA squads are currently 40-30 in non-conference play. The league opened conference play on Dec. 4 and Delaware, George Mason, Hofstra, Towson, Drexel and VCU started CAA play 1-0.
• With their wins on Sunday, Delaware, George Mason and Hofstra extended their winning streaks to six straight.
• Delaware is ranked No. 1 in the latest RPI report compiled by Collegiate Basketball News, through games of Dec. 4. The CAA is ranked seventh among the conferences with seven teams in the Top 100 and four in the Top 21.
• Delaware moved up to #22 in the AP Top 25.. The Blue Hens are currently 6-0 with victories over ranked-Penn State, Villanova, Saint Bonaventure and Rhode Island.
• Three CAA players were named to the 2011-12 Naismith Women’s Basketball Player of the Year early-season watch list.
• NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball National Stat Rankings through games of Dec. 4 had a number of CAA highlights. The CAA boasts the top scorer in the nation in UD’s Elena Delle Donne (29.3 ppg), along with third-ranked Mason’s Taleia Moton (24.7 ppg) and eigth-ranked VCU’s Courtney Hurt (22.6 ppg). Full listing on page 11 of this report.
• Delaware was selected as the preseason CAA favorite to win the 2011-12 title. VCU followed along with James Madison and Hofstra.
• Virginia 529 Women’s Basketball Championship will return to The Show Place Arena in 2012 in Upper Marlboro, Md.
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
Elena Delle Donne • Delaware
Wilmington, Del./Ursuline, Jr., Guard/Forward
Delle Donne earned CAA Player of the Week accolades for the third time this season after helping the No. 24-ranked Blue Hens to a 2-0 week with victories over Princeton and William & Mary in the conference opener. The junior, who is leading the nation in scoring (29.3 ppg), poured in 27.5 points per game on 61.8 percent shooting (21-of-34) from the floor. She also added a team-best 9.0 rebounds, 4.0 blocks and 4.0 assists per game. Delle Donne became the sixth Delaware player to reach the 1,500 career point mark during the match-up against W&M.
Taleia Moton • George Mason
Fort Washington, Md./Suitland, Sr., Guard
Moton received CAA Player of the Week honors for the second straight week after helping the Patriots go 2-0 on the week. She led the league averaging 32.5 points per game on 60.5 percent shooting (23-of-38) from the field, including a career-high 33 points against Old Dominion. Moton also marked career highs with seven rebounds and 12 made free throws against the Lady Monarchs. The senior has recorded three consecutive games of posting 30 points or more. Moton also finished the week with 6.0 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 2.0 assists per game. Moton’s 24.7 points per game on the season is the third best mark in the nation.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:
Aprill McRae • VCU
Raleigh, N.C./Southeast, Fr., Center
McRae collected CAA Rookie of the Week honors as she averaged 9.5 points and 6.0 rebounds per outing for the Rams as they went 1-1, including a conference victory over Northeastern. The rookie contributed a career-best 13 points and seven rebounds against non-conference foe Richmond. McRae finished the week shooting 61.5 percent (8-of-13) from the field with one block and two steals in 60 minutes of play.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- UD Tabs Natasha Adair as WBB Head Coach
- Barefoot Named UNCW Women's Basketball Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- Charlotte Smith Named ECAC Coach of the Year
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- JMU Advances, Drexel Falls Short in WNIT Second Round
- JMU, Drexel Advance to WNIT Second Round
- Elon Falls to West Virginia in NCAA First Round
- Elon Opens Up NCAA Tournament Play vs West Virginia
- Women's #CAAHoops Weekly: Postseason