Oct 18, 2011, 3:39 PM EST
Baby Barefoot? Don’t worry. Old Dominion coach Karen Barefoot isn’t pregnant (forgive us, we get a chuckle out of those two words…..), but the Lady Monarchs’ new freshman point guard Ashley Betz-White?
“Everybody calls her Baby Barefoot,” said the ODU coach. “She’s got so much energy; she’s so positive and so competitive.”
Speaking of competitive, Barefoot cannot stop touting Michelle Brandao, a 5-8 guard from Freixo Ponte De Lima, Portugal.
“The maintainance guy has to kick her out of the gym,” Barefoot said. “We lift three times a week. Michelle lifts four.”
Also receiving kudos from Barefoot: senior Mairi Buchan, who missed all of last year with a foot injury. Barefoot has tweaked Buchan’s shot to ensure she is more of a scoring threat.
“She was playing upright a lot,” Barefoot said. “She was limiting herself with her first step to the basket. Now she’s playing the game lower with her elbows lined up.”
Fifth place for the Lady Monarchs per the CAA preseason poll? Do you wanna play them?
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- WBB Streaks Continue on Friday
- #CAAHoops In Focus: JMU's Sophomore Trio
- #CAAHoops Weekly: WBB Race Heats Up
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Jan. 15
- WBB Home Cookin' on Sunday
- WBB Thrilled on Friday Night
- #CAAHoops Weekly: Key WBB Match-Ups
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Jan. 8
- Road Teams Hold Advantage on Sunday
- An All Right Friday Night for WBB