Oct 17, 2011, 10:08 PM EDT
Coach: Krista Kilburn-Steveskey
Last year: 19-12, 10-8 CAA
Who’s missing: Guard Aamira Terry, forward/center Isoken Uzamere.
What’s new: Junior forward Deven Green, a third-team NJCAA All-American at Monroe Community College last season, freshman guard Andreana Thomas and freshman guard/forward Onyesonam Nolisa.
The headliner: Junior forward Shante Evans, a double-double machine (18.4 ppg, 11.0 rpg) who later this month will become the first player in program history to represent USABasketball in international competition when she competes in the Pan Am Games in Mexico.
Would like to see more from: Sophomore forward Anma Onyeuku (5.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg), who had several tantalizing performances – 15 points vs. William and Mary, 16 points vs. Delaware, 9 boards against VCU – during her freshman campaign.
Welcome back: Senior center Marie Malone, who went down with a knee injury four games into the 2010-season. Malone was averaging 12 points and six rebounds at the time.
The challenge: To remember the feeling of being snubbed by all the postseason tournaments and use that as fuel to put together a season that simply can’t be ignored this time.
We like their chances if: Talented veterans like seniors Candice Bellocchio and Nicole Capurso and CAA All-Defensive team performer Candace Bond assist Evans in leading the way.
Sexy non-conference matchup: Vs. St. John’s, Nov. 18 – It’ll be nice to host a Top-25-caliber opponent at the Mack Sports Complex – and an in-state one at that.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- UD Tabs Natasha Adair as WBB Head Coach
- Barefoot Named UNCW Women's Basketball Coach
- #CAAHoops Final Report
- Charlotte Smith Named ECAC Coach of the Year
- JMU Falls to Villanova in Overtime
- JMU Advances, Drexel Falls Short in WNIT Second Round
- JMU, Drexel Advance to WNIT Second Round
- Elon Falls to West Virginia in NCAA First Round
- Elon Opens Up NCAA Tournament Play vs West Virginia
- Women's #CAAHoops Weekly: Postseason