Oct 17, 2011, 10:17 PM EST
Coach: Tina Martin
Last year: 20-14, 10-8 CAA
Who’s missing: Guard Eva Riddick (2.3 rpg). The top eight scorers from last season return, with reinforcements.
What’s new: Two transfer guards – Trumae Lucas from Florida and Akeema Richards from West Virginia, 6-4 freshman Stephanie Leon and 6-0 first-year guard Nina Deal, an intriguing addition from Corcelles en Beaujolais, France.
The headliner: Junior guard/forward Elena Delle Donne, the second-fastest player to reach 1,000 points in NCAA Division I history and the leading scorer and rebounder for Team USA’s gold medal-winning entry at this summer’s World University Games in China.
Would like to see more from: Junior guard Lauren Carra, a third-team All-CAA pick who was especially effective when Delle Donne missed time with injury.
Welcome back: Junior guard Kayla Miller, who sat out the entire season to finally address lingering back issues. The NCAA has granted Miller a hardship waiver so she has two years of eligibility remaining.
The challenge: To settle into the appropriate roles and allow Delle Donne to do for Delaware what Larry Bird did for Indiana State men’s team in the late 1970s – elevate a mid-major into the national picture.
We like their chances if: Delle Donne can operate at or near peak efficiency the entire season.
Sexy non-conference matchup: Penn State, Nov. 17. The Nittany Lions are getting a lot of preseason buzz so this is an early chance for the Blue Hens to get folks’ attention.
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
@CAABasketball on Twitter
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 20
- Women's Basketball Weekly Report - Nov. 13
- 2017-18 WBB Season Tips Off on Friday
- Hofstra's Durant Named to McClain Award Watch List
- WBB #CAAChamps Tickets On Sale Friday
- CAA WBB Media Day Teleconference Wrap-Up
- JMU WBB Picked Atop Preseason Poll
- Watch Women's Basketball Media Day Show
- #CAAHoops Digital Media Days Set For Oct. 18-19
- CAA Announces WBB Schedule