Nov 5, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
With the 2013-14 CAA Women’s Hoops season about to tip this weekend, we wanted to give you the Baseline Buzz before the first official jump ball on the 2013 WNIT Champions – Drexel.
Coming off the best season in school history, the Dragons welcome back a pair of starters from a squad that captured the 2013 WNIT Championship with a 28-10 record.
Denise Dillon, who is entering her 11th season at the helm of the Dragons, will rely on the leadership of sophomore Meghan Creighton (5.9 ppg) and senior Fiona Flanagan (5.4 ppg) in the backcourt. Flanagan is one of the CAA’s most accurate perimeter shooters as she finished ranked third (.397) in 3-point FG percentage last season. Creighton, who started all 38 games as a freshman for Drexel and was named to the CAA All-Rookie team, will look to step up in the roll of point guard after ranking second on the team with 92 helpers in 2012-13.
The Dragons welcome back Rachel Pearson, a versatile player who can contribute at the guard and forward positions, as she tallied 3.5 points and 1.2 rebounds a year ago. She will be joined by other returnees in senior forwards Abby Redick (2.4 ppg) and Tory Theirolf (1.4 ppg), as well as sophomore guard Carrie Alexander (2.2 ppg).
The Dragons will also add five newcomers to the roster as they look to continue the success from a year ago.
Did You Know? The Dragons are the second straight CAA team to advance to the WNIT postseason title game. James Madison made an appearance in the 2012 WNIT Championship contest, but fell to Oklahoma State.
MEGHAN CREIGHTON • So. • G
• Started all 38 games as a freshman for WNIT Champion Dragons and was named to the CAA All-Rookie team.
• Added 5.9 points and 2.6 rebounds per game for Drexel, along with a team’s second best 92 total assists.
• Became the first Drexel rookie since Gabriela Marginean (2007) to score 20 points in a game when she reached that milestone against William & Mary on Feb. 24.
FIONA FLANAGAN • Sr. • G
• Earned a starting roll for the Dragons a year ago and contributed 5.4 ppg and 3.7 rpg.
• Among the CAA’s top three-point shooters, finishing third in the conference in 3FG% (.397) and 13th in 3FGM/g (1.3).
• Two-time honorable mention CAA All-Acedemic honoree (2012 & 2013).
About CAA Baseline Buzz
#CAAHoops On YouTube
WBB: Hofstra vs. NJIT Postgame (3/8/14)
Length: 8:50 | March 9, 2014
WBB: Hofstra at William & Mary Postgame (3/5/14)
Length: 4:11 | March 6, 2014
Northeastern Women's Basketball vs. JMU Postgame Interview - Mar. 5
Length: 1:52 | March 6, 2014
2014 Women's Basketball Senior Video
Length: 1:09 | March 5, 2014